OPRS SOP 103: Management of OPRS Personnel
The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Office for the Protection of Research Subjects (OPRS) staff provides expertise, and administrative support to IRB panels. OPRS staff is a link between the board members and the research community. The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign OPRS staff is a vital component in the effective operation of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Human Research Protection Program (HRPP). This SOP describes the general hiring and supervision of the OPRS staff, as the highest level of professionalism and integrity on the part of OPRS staff is expected.
This SOP applies to the staff of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign OPRS.
- Administrative staff includes human subjects coordinators, human subjects specialists, and additional support staff.
- For the scope of this policy and procedure, the OPRS Director designee may be the OPRS Assistant Director or an OPRS Manager.
The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Department of Human Resources determines the policies for recruiting and hiring University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign OPRS staff. The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Department of Human Resources determines the policies for identifying, documenting, and retaining formal staff interactions (such as performance reviews, termination procedures, etc.).
Staffing levels and function allocation will be determined according to University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign policy, management assessment of support requirements, and budget constraints. The review of staffing levels and function allocation occurs annually as part of standard University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign budget negotiations.
OPRS staff are not responsible for business development for the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. OPRS staff are the only individuals responsible for daily IRB operations, including the review processes. All members of the OPRS staff will have a description of the responsibilities for their respective positions including expectations for performance and training.
- Hiring and Ongoing Performance Evaluations
- The Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research and Innovation - Compliance conducts a performance review of the OPRS Director annually.
- The OPRS Director hires the OPRS Assistant Director and OPRS managers. The OPRS Director or designee oversees the hiring of remaining OPRS administrative staff.
- The OPRS Director or designee establishes personnel requirements (i.e., initial training requirements, ongoing education requirements, etc.) of the IRB Assistant Director and OPRS staff.
- Performance reviews of OPRS staff are conducted annually by the appropriate supervisor.